Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Building a skin on frame kayak

For the past year I have been building a skin on frame kayak. This may appeal to some of you traditionalists who enjoy building your own stuff. I thought about the idea for some time, and finally started to take the plunge. This kayak is based off of Tom Yost's Sea Tour design, with some small modifications. The frame is almost complete, and I have to work on the skin next.

The general idea is to construct cross sections, like the fuselage of an airplane. Then you run stringers down the cross sections to create the shape of the boat.


Above you can see the stringers attached to the first and last cross section. As cross sections are added, the stringers take the shape of the boat.


Then the stem plates are added at the bow and stern. These are free design, so I could make them any shape I desired. I chose to make them somewhat steep to allow the boat to track straighter.

With any luck I will be able to finish the boat and post some photographs soon!

Any questions, feel free to e-mail me. Also, I must give credit to Tom Yost at Yostwerks.com as that is where my ideas came from. He has a VERY comprehensive how to on his website.

0 comments:

Post a Comment