Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Becker BK2 modification

About a year ago I found the finish on my Becker BK2 was coming off from use. Not wanting an ugly knife, but still wanting to abuse it, I decided to remove the finish from the blade. I put the blade in a chemical stripper, and WEARING GLOVES, I removed the finish from the blade. This is not enough, because with type of steel on the BK2, it is likely the blade will rust. I took the blade and forced a patina by placing the blade in a vinegar solution. I then pulled the blade out and allowed the patina to form to my liking, wiping the vinegar off when it reached the color I wanted. Then I took the stock handles and traced them onto cocobolo (a dark rosewood). The end result was shaped using a drum sanding bit on my drill press. They aren't perfect, but the look was much improved! The knife continued to be abused, and the finish holds up really well.
I liked the results so much, I decided to patina my Mora Number 2. I stripped the ugly red paint off the handle, then dipped it in polyshades (a stain/polyurethane mixture). The blade was then stuck into an onion to develop a patina. If there is enough interest, I will put together a guide on forced patina.

0 comments:

Post a Comment