Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Getting started in blacksmithing

It should come as no surprise to most who know me that I have some abnormal hobbies. Well, abnormal is subjective, because I think it is totally normal. I have always had a fascination with the "old way" of doing things. I enjoy making things by hand, with traditional tools. I love to study technology from early time periods...firecraft, homesteading, tool making, and self reliance. So one day I decided that I wanted to learn something new: Blacksmithing!

My interest began like most my interests do...on the internet, doing research. I eventually purchased a book and began to learn about the art. From the techniques used to create things, to how to build the forge. Going to a local scrap yard, I was able to speak with the owner, who happened to have an anvil for me. a 136 pound, rusty, crude looking anvil. He cut me a deal, $10.00, to get it out of his shop. Little did I know what that hunk of metal I bought was valued at!



A little clean up with a wire wheel, and the anvil became a much prettier piece of steel! I was able to identify the anvil as a Arm and Hammer, worth much more than $10.00 to say the least.



So once I bought the anvil, it was time to build the forge and stand. The forge design was easy. One search on Google and I came of with the brake drum forge. Thanks to a guy at work, I got my hands on a drum for free. Then I bought some sections of 2 inch black pipe to create the forge base piping. The drum is attached to the floor flange by drilling holes and simply bolting it on.



Then I bought two sections of 6x4 treated lumber. I measured the right length and cut the sections. I had trouble cutting them all to the right length, so I had to put some work into evening them out. I then used some hardwood for a top and bottom plate. (The anvil rusted a little since it was sitting in the garage during a temperature swing. A little more wire wheel treatment should get rid of it).



And that's it! My poor neighbors may soon hear the ping! ping! ping! of metal being pounded and twisted into awesomeness.

0 comments:

Post a Comment